Monday, July 18, 2011

Emboding the Night Owl and Being Comfortable Alone.

Penny Smallshire
I am a Night Owl.   I am a predator of those private moments that I can only find late at night.  I have always been like this.  Now that I have a busy life with lots of commitments, it is the only time left for me.   I can't explain it.  I just need this time.  Moments to myself that are distinctly missing during the day.  So I thieve them silently in the night.  Some times I pay for it later but its worth it.  Like a dog stealing a steak from the table knowing full well he will take a beating but he thinks the steak is worth the pain.

I love to be alone.  There is a calm and confidence that I nurture when I'm alone.  I believe there are things that can only be realized and accomplished alone.  Most people are not comfortable alone.  They seek to fill their time with the presence of others.  Sometimes to a flaw.  I am at peace alone in the vast emptiness.  I poses confidence that exceeds most.  Am I too confident?  Probably but you can't know where the line is until you cross it.  I attribute much to this time spent alone while most find being alone uncomfortable.

This comfort with myself and silence gives me an advantage.  At least in the USA, it is culturally unpleasant for two or more people clustered to be silent.  In General, it is not natural for humans to allow silence in the presence of others.  We often awkwardly fill the empty space.  Sometimes giving away ourselves.  As the predator, I am looking for the pregnant pause.  Finding it, I don't touch it.  I let it ripen.  Out waiting the other person, resisting the desire to fill the empty space, puts you in the position to react rather than act.  Reaction is the position of power and strength.
"If it doesn't serve you, don't speak" - Ben Franklin
The only way to become comfortable being alone by yourself or in the presence of others can only be acquired by regularly speeding time alone. Preferably, doing nothing of value.  Sit, walk, run, meditate, write a blog no one reads, do what ever it takes to allow the multitude of voices in your head to get their thoughts off of their chests.

Benjamin Hodgetts
The owl is my totem.  I am happy I know this.  Can't imagine not knowing my totem.  I would be at a lose.

The owl is a predatory, silent, fast, agile and his huge forward facing eyes allow him to see in stereo with little light.  Little know, their eyes are fixed in their head and it is the flexibility of their necks that allow them to survey their world.  These fixed eyes allow them to really focus on one thing in a way that humans can not.  They can see in low light.  They can see into the soul and the secrets within.

 

5 comments:

  1. Fantastic! What nice prose to awake to :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Night owl.

    I love this, from Osho: "Aloneness is the presence of oneself. Aloneness is very positive. It is a presence, overflowing presence. You are so full of presence that you can fill the whole universe with your presence and there is no need for anybody."

    Lately my totem is coyote. She appeared on the sidewalk, a block away from my downtown Tucson home, in the middle of the night. I am not a night owl but was awake with a lot of body pain (now subsiding, thankfully). She was a sight. And immediately shifted my situation. Ever present, purposeful, and enough. I had to laugh, actually, which is what coyote does. Trickster.

    I think aloneness is different when one is single. It's not about escaping or coveting those seldom moments of solitude, but about embracing one's own whole life, and recognizing the connections we have with everything in every moment. A different story. Equally as challenging and rewarding. Thank the lord for Thich Nhat Hanh and other teachers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've noticed that you have used one of my photographs on this article (the last image).

    That's fine, but you should really credit the source of your images.

    Looking forward to hearing your response.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have made a valid point. I should provide credit for images. I have added credit for your image. Thank you for being fair and sharing your image. Let me know if there is anything else I can do.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really enjoyed reading these posts. I, too, am a night owl :) it started as a kid wanting to wake up at night to see the snow blowing outside ..a calm & beautiful sight. As an adult, I am happy alone at night & cherish the time I spend doing what I want. My cats sleep at night & wonder why I'm up! :) they are on a more normal schedule than I am. All you night owls take care & enjoy!

    ReplyDelete

Be nice.